Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Punishing Provider

How awesome is Numbers 20? It seems like the perfect place to see both God's justice and His grace. Look at it with me.

We see this in the truth of the waters of Meribah. Yet again, the people are grumbling and complaining, this time because they don't have water and have apparently forgotten that God is the Provider. So, God tells Moses to take his staff and tell the rock to bring forth water. Instead, Moses hits the rock with his staff. Now, see God's punishment of sin. Because Moses didn't do what God commanded him to do, but did his own thing instead, God decreed that he and Aaron would not be the ones to lead Israel to the promised land. Yet, here's His grace. He didn't tell Israel that He wouldn't allow them to enter the promised land, He didn't remove His presence from them, and He didn't refuse to bring forth the water they needed. He could have done any of those things and been perfectly just in it, but instead He extended His grace.

How awesome is this? And what confidence this can give to those of us who are believers! For us, God has punished our sins on the cross through Jesus and extends us His mercy and grace through Christ. What a wonder! And how undeserving are we!

Lord, thank You that for me, through Your Son, Your grace and justice go hand in hand. It is a marvelous freedom I have in you, and not through anything I've accomplished, but through Your inexplicable love for me. I am amazed daily at the gift You've given me in Your Word to know You more and draw closer to You. I love You, Lord, and find myself speechless and breathless at the wonder of Your love for me. Thank You. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment