Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Good Intentions

So, I've been extremely caught up in the day-to-day stuff over the past two days, and need to ask your forgiveness for not writing. Yesterday, I didn't even study at all! I guess the good thing that has come from missing is that where, before, it was par for the course, now it feels strange and wrong. So I'm grateful for that at least.

Tonight, though, I want to share just a life lesson rather than getting back into Numbers.

I got an email today from our Children's Director. Every year, at summertime, we as parents get a link to a digital copy of a booklet that gives you ideas on how to be intentional in teaching your children about Christ throughout the summer. It's got some really cool ideas in it, ones that just might have an impact: building a fort with your child and talking to them about how God is our fortress; going on a walk barefoot, then washing their feet and telling them about Christ being a servant; searching for dive sticks in the pool and relating it to how Jesus came to seek and save the lost. These ideas also have Scriptures that can go along with them, and questions to get the conversation started.

The idea is to be intentional, using every opportunity to teach your child the gospel. Looking through it today, it got me wondering, especially in light of the busyness of the past few days....how many opportunities am I missing? Am I parenting intentionally, or just hoping that Cole will pick it up from our study time or church or whatever?

So I decided to put it to the test tonight, and God gave me ample opportunity. Success: he wanted to help me while watering the plants. As I picked the dead flowers off, I spoke to Him of the need for us to prune our hearts of sin so that God can do the work of growing good fruit in its place. As I gave them water, I described how it's nourishing to the plant and vital to its growth, just like the Word is for our souls. He listened attentively, then chattered about something else, but at least the seed was planted!

But there was a failure as well, a missed opportunity. We went out and played a war game (I definitely have a boy!). I should have spoken of our spiritual war and the armor of God, but I got caught up in the game and didn't.

Now, I'm not saying that we have to beat our kids over the head with the Bible, or that every activity must have a lesson attached to it. Some of that comes from watching us as parents living a godly life, too. What I am saying is that I can be much more sensitive to those moments that God gives me, even creating some, in the hopes that seeing Christ in the every day will make Him more real to my child.

How are you parenting?

Lord, thank You for opening my eyes to the possibilities I've been missing when I haven't shared You with my son in an intentional way. Forgive me for that. Please, Lord, grant me many more opportunities and call to mind the parallels and the Scriptures to explain the gospel to Him. Save him early, Lord, so that he might have a lifetime of joy in knowing You. Thank You, Lord. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment