Saturday, May 24, 2014

The Greater Gift

Here's what got me tonight in Numbers 18: verse 20. God tells Aaron he gets no portion or inheritance in the land, because God is his portion and inheritance. I thought, "So what is Aaron missing? Isn't he getting the better deal?"

The application here is clear. Sure, things of the world will tempt us and they seem great. And not everything of the world is evil. It's okay for us to have nice homes, nice cars, pretty things, as long as we are giving back to the One who blessed us with them, we're not allowing them to take center stage in our hearts, and we're satisfied with what we have. But these things are not our portion or inheritance - God is.

Do we think of Him that way? What a gift! What a portion! He is greater and far better than anything we can have here.

Lord, You are amazing. You fill me with joy and satisfy my soul. Thank You for being my portion and my inheritance. Forgive me for the times I've chased after things of dust on this earth instead of chasing after You. Open my eyes to see the beauty of the inheritance I already possess and remind me continually that my home is not here and my heart shouldn't be either. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment