Monday, May 5, 2014

All to God

I was reading through Numbers 10 tonight. Of the many cool things in it, my favorite part was verses 1-10. If you really read it, the entire focus is on God. They're to blow these trumpets for every little thing, and God tells them that it is as a reminder of them before Him.This doesn't mean that God forgets anything. I don't profess to understand why the wording here is the way it is, but the idea is that it keeps their focus on Him and He is faithful and mindful of them in return.

Let me make a disclaimer here: this is not a "you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours" kind of thing. As if we could do anything to earn God's love, or even His notice!

To me, the idea is more about our relationship with Him than the actions performed in this passage. God is gracious, as evidenced by the very fact that He is mindful of us. Just read Psalm 8 and glory in our Creator! I think we need to be reminded of God more than we need to be called to His mind. Too often, we go about our daily activities without ever thinking of Him and what He has done for us. Instead, we should keep 1 Corinthians 10:31 in mind, "So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God".

So what does this mean? What does it look like? I think it means that we do everything to the best of our ability, as though we were doing it for Christ (Ephesians 6:7). I think it means we are attentive to our attitudes and what it says about our God. I think it means we remain humble, knowing we don't deserve any of the blessings we receive, and turning the praise and glory that could puff up our pride back to God. I think it means we pray, we serve, we study the Word, we abide in Him.

Most of all, I think it means we strive to live a life pleasing to God, not with the intention of gaining any reward, be it earthly or heavenly, but out of a radical love for our Savior.

Lord, I praise You as the Creator. I look around me and cannot fathom how anyone can deny Your existence. But even harder to comprehend, Lord, is that You didn't just make me and then move on. No, You love me. You are mindful of me. Your Word tells me You even know the numbers of hairs on my head, and that You work all things together for my good. I can't understand why, Lord, but I am immensely thankful for it. Forgive me for those times when I've gone through my day without thinking of You, just coasting along on autopilot. Forgive me for those days where I haven't given my all in Your service, whether it be my job, my home, my church, whatever. But thank You that You did give Your all on the cross to reconcile me to You. Thank You that I am always on your mind. Help me, Lord, to remember Your sacrifice and to work as if I'm doing it for You each day, Lord, because I am. I love You and praise You and give You all the honor and glory. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment