Thursday, May 15, 2014

Strangers Among Us

So, today's chapter was Numbers 15. There was so much great stuff here (and I never thought I would get excited about Numbers!), but one idea in particular stuck out to me. You can actually see it in the first 31 verses, if the title of this post didn't already give it away.

I think it's really interesting that God commands that even the strangers, the sojourners, must follow the same rules as the Israelites. He has the same expectations and the same consequences. While God makes a distinction between them as being outside of the people of God, for lack of a better phrase, He still sets forth the same laws for them so long as they are with the Israelites.

I think this is very important and has some big implications for us. Here are some scenarios where this could play out for us, and this isn't an exhaustive list, but just a few ideas.

When unsaved family members come to dinner, do we pray out loud like we do when they're not around, or do we pray quietly so we don't make them uncomfortable? Or do we not pray at all?

What about in public? How do we pray when we eat out?

When you're babysitting for someone who isn't saved, do you teach their child the same things you do your own (i.e., prayer before meals or bedtime, being obedient to glorify God, Bible story/studies, etc.)? Same goes for when your child's friend spends the night at your house.

Do you discipline or talk to your child the same way you would normally when they're around their friends? I don't mean in a way that would embarrass them, but explaining the consequences of sin? Calling them to repentance?

Do you confront sin in the life of an unbeliever in order to show them Christ, or do you ignore it and leave them in it because they're not saved?

Do you listen to popular music with your friends when you would normally listen to praise music?

The list could go on and on, but you get the idea. Do you bend your will and rules to conform to someone else's, someone who isn't saved? STOP RIGHT NOW. Why do we do this? Why aren't we staying on the narrow path, and requiring them to come along with us? Now I realize that all of the scenarios above aren't exactly always in our control. But, I can always bow my head and pray, and I can always have my family join me, regardless of where we are. If I'm driving, I get to choose what's on the radio. I can teach my child about the consequences of sin no matter where he is or who he's with.

Do you see the importance here? Not only is it about making a choice to stand for Christ and to be uncompromising on the gospel, but it's an opportunity to give the stranger to Christ a small taste of Who He is, and how important He is. If they see us waffling back and forth depending on the situation, what does that tell them about our faith? Our Christ? Our God?

So, I guess my point for today is: Don't compromise your values and your faith and the gospel to please the stranger. Where you go, God goes, so make sure He's known. Maybe, just maybe, He'll use that in the life of an unbeliever. Having said that, also remember that we are sojourners in this world, so do it with kindness and love.

Lord, thank You for Your goodness and grace. I pray tonight, Lord, that You will enable me to be bold for the gospel-with kindness and love. I don't want to step on anyone's toes, but neither do I want to compromise on my faith or values or what you've commanded me to do. Forgive me for the times I've done just that. I love you, Lord, and I pray this in faith, knowing that You will answer. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment