Tuesday, June 24, 2014

We Have an Advocate

Sorry that I'm just getting to this today, but as I said last night on Facebook, we had women's Bible study, which ran a little over, and then I had to shower, etc., when I get home...at which point I crashed. But studying through 1 John is awesome! Last night's discussion/study was on 1 John 2. Here's what I got from both my own study and the wisdom of the other ladies that participate with me.

First, if you look back at 1 John 1:9-10, you see John telling us that we are still sinners, and that if we deny this, then we're denying the need for Christ, and therefore, can't be His. But then you come right over to chapter 2, verses 1 and 2 and see the solution for this: confess your sins so that Christ can be your Advocate with the Father (since you are His, then, if you confess your sins, repent and believe). How cool is that? We discussed what an advocate is in the group. Of course, we know that this is often someone who speaks on your behalf, who fights for you and defends you. Christ is definitely doing all of those things for those who are His. I also mentioned another side to that: having been the "court advocate" for a domestic violence program in Bedford (which is a wonderful program, by the way, and always in desperate need of any financial support that you can provide - you can look them up on Facebook or follow the link for more information: http://www.co.bedford.va.us/res/social/domestic/index.asp), I also learned that an advocate can be a constant source of support, someone who will encourage and guide you when you can't see the way sometimes. Isn't that another beautiful picture of what Christ does for us?

Second, John is writing in this chapter specifically to encourage the church in their position in Christ and to warn them against false teachers. At that time, there was a group who denied the deity of Christ, who denied that sin really mattered, etc., and some of these teachers were in the church, naming themselves Christians! I can't imagine what it must have been like to suddenly have your close friend in the church spouting off random craziness that contradicted everything that Christ and the other apostles had taught, can you? And that was what was almost so insidious about it: that these were people who were known to believers, who called themselves followers of Christ, so I feel like that would have made it that much harder to discern the truth, especially if it was coming from someone that was well-liked or well-respected in the body. But John does say that you can rightly discern the truth from the lies, comparing it with the contrast between light and darkness. He tells us that a true believer will be known by their faithful walk, by their love for Christ rather than the world, by their knowledge of who God is, and by their growth in Christ.

What this taught me was a need for a greater love and unity within the body, so that at the first signs of a false teaching or these little "white lies" coming into the body, we can strangle it out. That's not to say we shun the person speaking them, so don't get me wrong. But it is to say that we can "speak the truth in love" to them, that we can gently and lovingly correct them before they slip away or draw others with them. It encourages a greater love of the Word, so that we can rightly discern the truth and we won't question in our minds what is truth and what is a lie. It requires a greater abiding in Him, so that we know Him and won't be deceived or enticed by lesser things or idols that can so easily take root in our lives. It requires a guardedness and a watchfulness of what we say so as not to give a wrong impression or allow our words to be twisted. It certainly inspires a greater love and a greater recognition of my desperate need for Christ in all things!

Lord, I love you. I can't imagine where my life would be without You and Your grace and mercy to me. I look back in my life, and I can clearly see where Your hand has led me and how You have worked things for my good, even when I couldn't see it at the time. And even now, in the things I still can't find the good in, I know that You have a purpose for those things, as well. I thank You for daily inspiring a greater trust in You and a greater dependence on You in my heart. To know that I still have so much to learn about You is very humbling, but also so wonderful. What kind of God would You be if I had nothing more to learn about You?! I thank You for being my Advocate with the Father. You are a good and gracious God, and I am well pleased in my soul to be called Yours. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment