Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Blessings from a Curse

Isn't it cool how God's Word just all flows together? Earlier this morning, I wrote about my study of 1 John 2 last night, and how he was warning the church against those who would profess to know God, but said something else entirely through their actions. And here we see the perfect example in Numbers 23, tonight's study.

I wanted to figure out a little more about Balaam. Luckily, a few years ago, my grandmother gave me a really cool and extremely helpful book, Unger's Bible Dictionary, and Nic was kind enough to let me borrow his study Bible (until my own arrives on Thursday - yay!), plus I do have an old KJV study Bible. All that to say, I had several resources to help me understand this a little better. Ironically enough, the KJV study Bible had a little "segment", for lack of a better word, on Balaam. It said that he was willing to acknowledge God as being powerful and the source of his "gifts" (divination and the ability to bless and curse),but didn't believe that He was the only God. It went on to say that he was a contrast between an outward facade of spirituality and a corrupt inward life. Furthermore, he only wanted to remain obedient so long as it gained him profit. The Bible Dictionary called him a "heathen diviner". It also claims that his intentions when he gives each of these blessings was initially to curse Israel in order to obtain profit, but he was constrained by God to speak only what he was told by God to speak.

The second thing I needed to understand was what an oracle is. I mean, I've heard it used before and had a general idea, but wanted to be sure since it's in Scripture, at least as a heading. Apparently, it is "the divine communications given to the Hebrews" in various ways; in tonight's case, through (or maybe in spite of) Balaam.

Okay, so now we're at the first oracle or blessing. The first thing I took note of here were the phrases "the Lord put a word in Balaam's mouth" and "thus shall you speak". Taking the first phase, my thought was what does that look like? I mean, you would typically picture a conversation with God, right? And God tells the person what to say. But that's not the image I got. Maybe it's just the words used, but it's almost like God physically did something to put His Word into Balaam. I pictured God somehow leaning over Balaam and breathing it into him or something. Think about it before you start making fun of me; it doesn't just say that the Lord met with Balaam, or told him what to say and then to go and repeat it. No, it says He put the Word in Balaam's mouth. That implies a certain physicality, right? That's not a passive verb to me (English teachers, don't kill me if I'm wrong); in my mind, that implies an action of some sort. And then the second phrase is very visceral, too. But, rather than a request or even a command, it's like a statement of a very certain fact. God doesn't tell Balaam he's going to go repeat the words to the best of his recollection. He doesn't give Balaam the opportunity to twist His Word at all. He says, "Thus shall you speak." Very little room for error there, huh?

So then Balaam says, I came here to curse this people, but I'm constrained to say only what God would have me say, and that's not His desire for this people. Instead, he ends up verifying how they are set apart and reiterating His promise of Abraham's descendants. Isn't that crazy? And the whole time, God's using this unwilling servant. Can't you picture Balaam just grinding this out through gritted teeth, like, God, can't you just let me make a little money? And we know that his main objective is not obedience to our glorification of God. After all, He was told at the first request, no. Then, he was told, no, but since you're going to be so stiff-necked and more stubborn and less wise than your donkey, go, but say only what I command you to say. Now, he's screaming yes, but being told no yet again. That should be the end of it, right? You would think, but...you guessed it, no. Because now, he gets asked to try again, and he gives a second oracle/blessing.

This is just not turning out so well for Balak, is it?

In this second oracle, Balaam says one of my favorite truths about God. Go (re)read verse 19. Balaam is being forced to tell Balak, "Listen, God doesn't lie or change His mind. He's already spoken, and that's that." How cool is this promise? Especially when you look at other promises in Scripture and know this one stands alongside it, so all the others must be true as well! Not only that, but he then basically tells Balak that it's futile and foolish to try to harm Israel, because as God's chosen people, He is their defense and protection and no one can stand against Him. Wouldn't you just love to be a fly on the wall for that? Balaam is basically confirming Balak's fears, when instead he was called and paid to remove them! But Balak still doesn't get it, because he wants Balaam to go one more place with him to try God again (always a wonderful idea, right? Insert annoying buzzer sound.)

But, as much of a temptation as it is to keep going, we'll have to wait until tomorrow to see what happens. Stay tuned...

Lord, thank You for Your Word! It is water to the thirsty soul and the bread of life to the hungry. It is miraculous, living, breathing, sharper than any two-edged sword. It is our best defense against the devil's snares. And it is given to us freely, and You give us Your Spirit to help us discern it rightly, You give us spiritual ears to hear and eyes to see Your truths in it. Lord, You are a God of wonders! Thank You for the gift of Your Word. Cause us to treasure it more and anew each day as we store it in our hearts. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment