Sunday, June 22, 2014

The Donkey Speaks

Wow, I had no idea where to even start with Numbers 22! I definitely had to get out the study Bible to understand even a portion! The "problem" lies in that this tale seems almost contradictory, yet we know that the Word doesn't contradict itself. So what's happening here? Well, as is so often the case, a lot of this is the heart behind the words, or the underlying message of the words.I'm going to try to break this down, and I may quote from the study Bible if necessary.

Verses 1-6: This is sort of setting up the background. Israel had just defeated two other nearby nations through the power of God. The king of Moab, this unbelieving land, is worried that the same will happen to him, so he calls for a man who practices divination from the land of his kindred. My assumption is that this would mean that the people in this land probably also do not follow God, including Balaam.

Verses 7-14: So we see here that Balaam appears to be obedient to God. After all, he is certainly speaking with him. And when God said he couldn't go, he told the messengers that he couldn't. But, think about it for a minute. If he was truly God's, why would he curse the people of God? Why divide himself from them by cursing them? In addition, his refusal, the study Bible suggests, may have been worded in such a way as to suggest that the cause of his refusal was less about obedience and more about cash. We see this in the fact that Balak sends more emissaries, indicating that there was not a firm refusal.

Verses 15-21: Ok, so Balak didn't take no for an answer. But here's the thing - neither did Balaam. God had already told him that he could not curse the people of Israel for any reason. Yet, rather than turning these messengers away with a firm refusal based on his knowledge of what God's will was, Balaam opened his ears, invited these men to stay the night, and said he would see what more God had to say to him. Clearly, he did not know the same God James does as he writes in James 1:17, "with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change". So from this, we know that Balaam is motivated by something other than a love for and obedience to God, probably money and a desire to make much of himself. We see God telling him, go, but do only what I say. Which leads to the seeming contradiction...

Verses 22-30: The first thing we read here is that God's anger was kindled against Balaam, because he went. But wait, didn't God just tell him to? I didn't understand this myself, but the study Bible had a great answer for this, one that is in keeping with the rest of the text. It says, probably because God knew that Balaam's heart was set on the money. This means that he intended to have it, God's will or no. We know that God is a God who sees the heart, not just the actions, and we've already seen Balaam's heart, so this makes perfect sense and erases the seeming contradiction here.

What I found amusing in this scripture is that Balaam is not at all fazed by the fact that his previously mute donkey starts talking to him. He just holds a conversation with it. I'm pretty sure I would pee my pants and commit myself to the loony bin, but Balaam is just so nonchalant about it all. You can also tell more about his heart here. Rather than thinking, gee, this faithful animal had never led me astray and might know something I don't, even on a more instinctual level, and maybe I should listen, he becomes angry and starts to beat her. But he has a different reaction to the next surprise of the day...

Verses 31-41: When Balaam finally had his eyes opened to see the angel, he is utterly undone. He just falls and hides his face. However, he is still sort of scheming even in this. The angel tells Balaam that what he's doing is perverse (reckless) before the Lord, but in Balaam's response, he says he'll turn back if what he's doing is "evil in your sight". That's already been addressed, and he knows it is! Yet, clearly God has a use for this man, even in his sin, because He allows him to meet with Balak. We'll see what happens in Numbers 23!

What a cool story! And how gracious God is even when we're in our sin, almost openly defiant about it as Balaam was, and yet can still receive grace when we're saved by God (salvation being the grace - if you're already saved, you won't be defiantly sinful against the One who saved you!).

Lord, thank You that salvation is all of you and none of me, so that I may not boast of my works in earning it. You are an amazing and just God, faithful to bless and preserve Your people through everything. I love knowing that You have already drawn up the boundaries of my life and that You are keeping me where You would have me. Lord, I pray that I will not be like Balaam, claiming obedience with my lips, but showing defiance with my actions. I pray that You will guard me from sin and the temptations of sin. I pray that You will continue to grow me into a faithful, godly woman, not for my glory, but for Yours. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment