Thursday, June 12, 2014

 

The Miracle

Numbers 21 contains the awesome story of the bronze serpent. I've had this particular bit of Scripture explained before, and I was so excited to read through it tonight so I could share it with you, because I would never have made the connection without it being explained. First, read verses 4-9.

Are you back? Now, make the following connections: complaining = sin. Fiery serpents = punishment for sin. Bronze serpent = salvation = Jesus.

How cool is this? It's like a foreshadowing of what Christ would do for us. We were in our sin, grumbling, complaining, ignoring God. Sin requires a punishment. Fortunately for us, just as the bronze serpent was lifted up for the people of Israel to gaze upon and be saved if they repented and believed in its healing power, so Christ was lifted up upon the cross, dying for those who would look on Him, repent of their sins, and believe in Him as the only way of salvation. How amazing!

Jesus, thank You for Your sacrificial love. Thank You for dying for me while I was yet in my sin. Thank You for opening my eyes to it, causing me to repent and for replacing my stony heart with one of flesh, made to love You. You are an awesome and mighty God, and my heart is filled with joy to know You and to dwell in Your presence. I love You unreservedly and unashamedly, Lord. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment