Sunday, April 27, 2014

The Power of Prayer

Today's sermon was from Acts 12:1-24. It was AMAZING! This Scripture tells of Herod Agrippa's killing of James, arrest of Peter, Peter's rescue by God, and Herod's subsequent judgment by God as evidenced in his gruesome death.

The title of the sermon was "Resistance Is Futile", the idea being that God's power and sovereignty is such that no one and nothing can resist what God has ordained. While this is true and amazing and encouraging, there was another aspect of the sermon that Pastor Nick spent some time on that really impacted me today.

That is the power of prayer, and not just that, but the type of prayer. Too often, our prayers are superficial and perfunctory, an obligation to get through so we can get back to other things. We don't treat it the way we should, nor with the respect it deserves. Our prayers are not just floating out into thin air, they're going directly to God's ears. Talk about power!

The very fact that we are even able to come before the throne of God with confidence (albeit with a reverent fear) is an amazing grace of God that we don't deserve and should never take for granted. Beyond that, the Bible tells us that when we ask for the things that are in line with God's will IN FAITH, we will receive it!

In short, I was very convicted today about my own prayer life. I need to be more intentional in my prayers. I need to be more faithful and faith-filled in my prayers. I need to spend more time in prayer, and I need to be more grateful for the grace provided to me to allow me to approach His throne as a confident daughter, knowing that He will answer my prayers and that He will answer them in power.

Thank You, Lord, for the opportunity to come before Your throne and be heard. Thank You that You will answer my prayers in power and with joy when I pray what is in line with Your will. Thank You that by Your grace, as You sanctify me, that my prayers will be ever more in line with Your will. Forgive me for the times when I have prayed without purpose, without faith, without thankfulness, and just out of duty. Thank you for Your Son, who out of His great love, died on the cross to atone for my sins while I still hated Him. Thank You that He rose on the third day, conquering over sin and death, and then loved me enough to save me, adopting me into Your family and allowing me to approach Your throne in confidence. Thank You that You work all things together for my good, and for faithful preachers and teachers of Your Word. I love You Lord, and make that love grow ever stronger as you sanctify me each and every second of every minute of every hour of every day. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment