Tuesday, April 29, 2014

I'm Guilty of Adultery...

...and you are, too. *GASP* Okay, I'll admit that the title of this particular entry is aimed to get your attention. And just to clear the air, I'm not guilty of adultery in the sense you would first think of.

Now that that's out of the way, I read through Numbers 5 today and basically got a beat-down. But before I get to that, let's take a look at the very beginning of the chapter. God proscribes the ways in which the unclean are to be put outside of the Israelite camp and then how they are to confess and make restitution for their sins. What amazing grace that God has given us! We who are saved were once unclean and separated from His presence, needing someone to make restitution for us, since there was no way we could do it on our own. And God provided a way through His Son! We no longer have to be separated, outside the camp! That's a blessing beyond compare!!

But, back to the spiritual smackdown. The next section in the chapter regards a test for adultery. Now, I'm not going to get into all of the whys and wherefores of it being a test for women, and the agonies it seemed she would suffer if she was guilty, et cetera, et cetera. That's not what I took away from this. What I did learn is this: that woman being tested? It's me. And unfortunately, I'm guilty. You see, there's another kind of adultery that our society doesn't necessarily think of right off, and certainly doesn't take as seriously as it should: spiritual adultery. That's right, I said it. We "cheat" on God daily.

I mean, think about it. How often do we make idols out of something else? And I'm not just talking about celebrities here. We can all too easily make idols out of other things, too. Television, books, magazines, work, our own anger and bitterness towards someone or a situation, our pride or comfort. We can make idols out of things that society tells us are good ideals: justice, patriotism, philanthropy, religion. We can even make idols out of God's blessings. Our spouses or children can quickly replace God as the supreme being in our hearts. How easy it is to make an idol out of acts of service, and replace Christ as the way to heaven with our good works. See how easy it is?

Now, don't mistake me here. I'm not saying that watching a television show, reading a book, serving at church, or loving your family is a bad thing. That would be idiotic. What I am saying is that what you devote your time and energies to shows what or who the most important thing in your life is. What do people think about when they think of you, about the core of who you are and what really defines you? What do you spend the majority of your time thinking about or working towards?

This was a kick-in-the-gut moment for me. Lately, Christ has been realigning my goals, thoughts, actions, etc. with His will for my life and I have been trying to obediently follow. I can see a difference. But that hasn't always been the case, and doesn't mean that I won't turn aside for other things again from time to time. I'm still a sinner. But, praise God, I am a sinner saved by grace. The end game for me is to see Christ's face some day and hear the words, "Well done, good and faithful servant...Enter into the joy of your master" (Matthew 25:21). Note that word: faithful. That's what I will strive for in my life. Not just faithfulness to my husband and my family, but faithfulness to my Master, my Savior, my Lord.

Faithfulness is a binding word. What I mean by that is that it draws the one completing the action (being faithful) ever closer to the object of the action (the one you are being faithful to). How could I not want to be bound to my Lord? How could I not want to be closer to the One who gave His life for me? With that in mind, how could I stray? How dare I allow anything in my life to usurp the rightful place of Christ in it?

Lord, I thank You that You are a holy and jealous God. I thank You that You will not share my loyalties with anyone or anything else and that You will allow no other to sit on the throne of my heart. Lord, I pray that you will bind me to You. Help me to abide in You. Draw me daily closer to the One who died for me and deserves, by no other virtue than His own, my unwavering faithfulness to Him. Forgive me for the times that I have committed spiritual adultery, chasing after the things of this world, or even just placing Your gifts to me above the Giver. Open my eyes to the times that this is happening in my life, and give me strength to overcome the temptation. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment