Friday, December 19, 2014

Sweet!

So, for those of you who haven't already seen the Instagram picture or the Facebook post, Cole wrote a super sweet letter to Santa that was in the Salem Times (I just found out about it today, but the paper came out yesterday). Anyway, here's what it said:
"Dear Santa, Have you had a good day? I did! I already have everything I could wish for. Wish #1, wish #2: nothing. Cole"
OK, so the spelling might not have been that great in his version, but still - I was quite proud of him! And not for being in the paper, but for genuinely being appreciative for all of the wonderful things he already has. This, of course, is certainly not to take away from any other kids who have written letters asking for things - regardless of your opinions on it, it's pretty much the norm around this time of year. And hey, if they don't ask, how are we to know what they want (which is the conundrum I have now!)?
Anyway, his letter got me to thinking. I haven't really asked for anything this year either (although I guess I did come up with a few things), but more because I can't really think of anything I need that I couldn't just go get if I wanted it. Cole, on the other hand, has told me numerous times (gotta get those gift ideas!) and now written it in a letter to Santa (cheesy grin here), that he already has everything he could want. You see the heart difference there? It's truly amazing - and convicting. I'm frantically wracking my brain trying to think of something I don't have that I can tell people to get (in my defense, they're asking and won't accept no for an answer, but still), and my 6 YEAR OLD CHILD is saying he doesn't want anything because he's already been blessed enough to have everything his little heart could desire.
God, change my heart to be like Cole's!
Again, this is not to try to talk Cole up or brag about my kid (because we all know he is a little sinner for sure), but because it genuinely made me stop and reflect on the nature of my own heart and desires, and to recognize that I genuinely do have everything I could want, and even if I didn't, Christmas isn't about that anyway. I should have everything I could wish for because Christ was born to give me eternal life; even if I received nothing else, ever, this would and should be enough for me.
So, thank you Cole, for teaching Mommy a lesson, and thank You, Father, for giving me this sweet blessing in my little boy and for giving me the only present that matters - You.

No comments:

Post a Comment